Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Righteous Anger

Well, I was going to write a post about Bon Iver and how amazing he was in concert and gush and gush about how much I want to sleep with Justin Vernon and how his music fills my whole body in the best way and then end with the quippy phrase "Iver Fever" that dear Mologna helped me come up with, but I am feeling kind of... well... angry.

I remember in Youth Group in high school we learned that God is angry but that his anger is righteous and that righteous anger is different than regular anger. And though I don't remember why it was different I like to think it's because righteous anger shines light on wrong-doing and spurs people towards action. Biblical God was angry because people were being assholes and he was like, "HEY! Stop being assholes!" and people couldn't stop being assholes so he had to smote their ass(hol)es. It's all right there, friends. In the Bible.

Well, this morning one of my two Moms posted this article on the facebook, and though I don't claim that my anger is righteous, it is certainly angry. And I hope everyone who reads this article is angry. Because the fact that this could happen in our country is RIDICULOUS.

You know what kills me? This quote: "I love this country, I live here, I pay taxes and I have no right to share my home with the person I married." I am not saying being gay is better, though all of you who know me know that I kind of think it is. But I am certainly not saying everyone has to BE gay. Clearly, as I am not. But last time I checked a person's sexual orientation WASN'T ANYONE ELSE'S BUSINESS. Last time I checked, if my two moms can marry, it doesn't infringe on my rights as an American IN ANY WAY AT ALL.

So. To quote God: "HEY! Stop being assholes."

No comments:

Post a Comment