So, this morning, while walking to work in the 19 (feels like -1) degree weather, I started thinking about last year. Last September, as I'm sure most of you know, I was laid off from my job and spent the winter of 2009-2010 unemployed. And I'm not gonna lie to you, it was great. On days when it felt like -1 degrees outside I would just stay in. Or go do some Forrest Yoga where I would sweat my face off, and then come home, shower, and take a nap. Or I would go babysit and get to cuddle with a little schmunkin like this dude...
COOPER!!!!!!!!!! I miss you so.
I know for most people being unemployed is/was terrible. But for me, it was heaven. But here's the thing, I remembered while getting on the T: I am grateful to have a job. I am grateful to have a place to go where it is warm and where I am not unhappy. I am grateful I don't hate my boss like I did at all my other jobs. I am grateful that I can work and be paid for it. Because we all have to have jobs. Some of us get to have jobs we love, and some of us are administrators, but the thing is we have to work. And wouldn't it be great if I could magically make a full time salary while sitting around in my bed taking naps?
But it isn't going to happen.
So, the point is I feel glad today at the place I am at in my life. Which is a much different feeling then I had a couple months ago. My jobs pays for me (and my therapy), and I have been blessed with being loved by a plethora of people who I respect and cherish. People who I love so much sometimes I feel moved to tears. People with whom I can communicate freely, and people who find my over-abundance of feelings charming (or so I hope), instead of slightly annoying and melo-dramatic as others might.And I suppose I do wish there were some additions to my life, but I don't think I would give up anything I have now to have the new things.
So it's the Holidays or whatever. And one of the things I love is making lists. So what I would like to do right now is make a list of all the things I feel grateful for during this holiday season, even if I think the idea that we should only be grateful for things during the holidays is lamesauce concentrate.
1. My Mom, Dad and Brother
2. My peops (DUH)
3. Dogs (especially Admiral Reginald Wigglesworth, who will be mine next year)
4. French Toast (with lots of butter and minimal syrup)
5. The Muppets (especially Gonzo)
6. Summer (specifically nights spent on porches)
7. Hipster music (and Kanye too)
8. My health (and all my present and working limbs)
9. Down Blankets (that you wrap around you like a burrito)
10. The Office (cause that show is just sweet)
11. Dancing on dance floors when nobody else is dancing (usually with Haimisch or PenPen)
12. Dancing to 80s music in Dee and Heather's house at Dee's b-day party with Mologna and Dee and EQ
13. Dancing until my feet hurt at Whits' Wedding
14. Random gifts given just because
15. Fleece-lined hoodies (I don't own one, but someday...)
16. The fingerless glove mitten things
15. My iPhone (because it is the one thing in life that is as awesome as it is advertised to be)
19. My job (see above)
20. Burdicks Hot Cocoa (liquid chocolate FTW)
21. Lunches with EJB (best part of number 19)
22. Hand Lotion (I have a cracked knuckle on my thumb)
23. Fingertip bandaids (Cause it's hard to get regular band aids to stay on your fingertip)
25. Indian Food
That's all I got.
Well... for now anyway.